By Marla Jones
RAINSVILLE, Ala.-- The DeKalb County Board of Education held a Special Called Meeting on Tuesday, November 2nd.
The Board accepted a bid to Lee Builders in the amount of $5,537,238.00 for a new gymnasium at Collinsville High School. After negotiations, the project came in under the proposed budget of six million dollars. The approved contracts will be sent to the State for approval and groundbreaking possibly could begin within eight weeks.
Collinsville and Ider High School are the two remaining schools in the system that does not have a new facility.
“We do want the Ider community to know that we are still in the process of building a gymnasium for them,” stated DeKalb Superintendent of Education, Wayne Lyles. “We are really struggling with a location that will be aesthetically pleasing and not use all of the front parking of the school. We are exploring all of our options, even the relocation of the softball field to provide the best location.”
The Board also approved the replacement of awnings at Geraldine School. A low bid of $24,990.00 by Jennings Awning was accepted.
The following resignations were accepted:
• Haley Peek, Itinerant Special Education Paraprofessional-Crossville Elementary
• Kristin Williams, ½ Assistant Principal/ ½ Teacher-Crossville Middle School
The following Leave of Absence was granted:
• Ryan Johnson, Elementary Teacher-Crossville Elementary School (10/29/21-5/27/22)
The Board approved the following On-the-Job Injury:
• Sheila Frix, Elementary Teacher-Collinsville High School (2 days)
The following Placements were made (pending a background review, meeting suitability criteria and negative, pre-employment drug screening and appropriate certification):
• Nathan Hall, Junior High Boys Soccer (Coaching Duties Only)-Crossville Middle School
• Christy White, Junior High Girls Soccer (Coaching Duties Only)-Crossville Middle School
• Ashley Croft, Itinerant Special Education Paraprofessional-Fyffe Special Services Center
• Arial West, CNP Worker-Geraldine High School
The following Contracts were granted:
• Ann Brownfield, In-School Interventionist-Collinsville High School
• Shelia Frix, TEAMS Math-Collinsville High School
Superintendent Wayne Lyles updated that the Town of Mentone will purchase the Moon Lake CNP equipment, enabling the Board to proceed with the sale of Moon Lake School.
Lyles also requested that the proposed Prinicipal Supplements be reviewed. Board member, Chris Andrews, requested that a copy of all Principal Contracts and Evaluations be made available to the Board members for consideration.
The next meeting of the DeKalb County Board of Education will be held on November 30th, with a work session beginning at 4:30 pm and a regular session beginning at 5 pm.