By Zach Hester, Reporter • email@example.com
GERALDINE, Ala. — (Full video below) On Monday, the Geraldine Town Council voted unanimously to appoint Melissa Farley Gilbert, the wife of late Councilman Tim Gilbert, to the open seat on the Council.
“I am extremely excited to have Melissa Gilbert as a Councilmember,” said Geraldine Mayor Chuck Ables. “I believe she will be a great asset to our Council and community.”
Councilman Tim Gilbert passed away on Tuesday, December 8, 2020. He had a combined 20 years of service to the Town of Geraldine and was also the Transportation Supervisor for Marshall County Schools.
“Tim was an outstanding person, dedicated to helping Geraldine move forward and I know Melissa will blend right in with the same passion for making our community better for everyone,” Ables continued. “The outpouring of love from her students and her co-workers at school shows a level of respect that is genuine and earned.”
In other business, the Council:
- Discussed the purchase of property near the existing ball fields for a new tee-ball field
- Passed Resolution 2020-12-14 to change the speed limit on County Road 52 inside the Town limits between the ball fields to Highway 227 to 35 mph
- Passed a one-time raise for Town employees: $125 for full-time employees and $50 for part-time employees
- Hired Brian Slaton as a full-time police officer at the Geraldine Police Department at $16.20 per hour
- Hired Jeremy Johnson to the Geraldine Police Department for him to attend the police academy
The next meeting of the Geraldine Town Council will be held on Monday, January 11 at 5:30 p.m. at Geraldine Town Hall. A work session will be held on Tuesday, January 5, also at 5:30 p.m.