By Marla Jones, Managing Editor • email@example.com
RAINSVILLE, Ala. — The DeKalb County Board of Education held their regularly scheduled meeting on November 5. During the work session part of the meeting, the board honored outgoing Board Member Mark Richards, for his eighteen years of service with the DeKalb Board of Education.
Several guests came to tell funny antics about Mr. Richards. All expressed their appreciation for his hard work for the administration and students of the DeKalb County School System. After a time of gathering and refreshments, the Board went into the regular session of the meeting.
In the regular session of the meeting, the Board recognized the accomplishments of early graduate Kirstin Slaton of Ider High School. They also recognized Tony Callaham who obtained his School Bus Mechanic Certification.
The board went into Executive Session to have a Student Discipline Hearing. The Board approved expulsion for the student.
The Board approved the following On the Job Injury:
• Lindsey Wade, Secondary Social Sciences Teacher at Geraldine High School (0 days)
The following Retirements/Resignations were approved:
• Angie Duncan, Assistant to the CNP Director at Central Office (Retirement, 1/1/21)
• Ronald Robertson, Assistant Custodian (9 months / 4 hour) at Valley Head (Resignation, 12/1/20)
• Michael Edmonson, Bus Driver at Crossville (Resignation, 11/4/20)
• Bailey Thompson, Pre-K Paraprofessional at Plainview (Resignation, 1/1/21)
• Jason Willoughby, Secondary Social Sciences Teacher at Ider (Resignation, 12/31/20)
The following Leave of Absence was approved:
• Megan Lea, Itinerant Library Media Specialist at Ruhama/Moon Lake (1/4/21-5/27/21)
• Kendall Durham, English Language Arts Teacher at Fyffe (9/18/20-2/1/21, extension from 12/18/20)
• Dana Kittle, Bus Driver at Crossville (9/16/20-11/12/20, extension from 11/2/20)
• Angie Harper, CNP Worker at Crossville (1/9/20-1/4/21)
• Molly Martin, PE Teacher at Crossville (11/12/20-1/29/21)
• Megan Jones, Business Education Teacher at Crossville (8/18/20-2/26/21, extension from 9/25/20)
• Teresa Ann Word, Elementary Teacher at Crossville (11/2/20-11/30/20)
• Ashley Conde, Pre-K Teacher at Plainview (12/7/20-1/15/21)
• Dana Willis, CNP Worker at Plainview (9/23/20-11/15/20, extension from 11/2/20)
The following Placements were approved: (All placements are made pending a background review meeting suitability criteria and negative, pre-employment drug screen and appropriate certification)
• Lindsey Higdon, Elementary Teacher at Ider (Leave only from 11/30/20-3/26/21)
• Dustin Brock, Secondary Social Sciences Teacher at Geraldine (Leave only from 11/2/20-12/4/21)
• Marcia Crump, Bus Driver at Crossville
• Ider: Jason Hood (baseball), Jeff R. Whitaker (baseball)
• Plainview: John David Willoughby (basketball)
• Sylvania: Derek Talley (basketball), Gary Talley (basketball)
• April Hill, COVID Sanitation at Fyffe
• Lorilyn Owen, COVID Sanitation at Collinsville
• Gary Talley, P.E. Teacher (11/2/20-5/27/21) at Sylvania
• Tammy Richards, Bus Sanitizing at Crossville
• Autumn Lorie Fox, Gifted Teacher Assistant
Collinsville 21st Century
• Aides: Elizabeth Barrientos, Penny Brown, Jorge Navarrete-Guevara
• Teachers: Jacob Brown, Marlene Bryant, Patsy Chambers (lead), Claire Chandler, Sherri Haas, Tracy Hulgan, Allie Jones, Lori Kiker, Kayla McAteer, Kim Osborn, Heather Paschel, Amber Smith, Holly Sparks, Amber Whitton, Bo Williams, Cynthia Wootten
• After School Bus Drivers: Tom Clanton, Tracy Hulgan, Dawn Price, Charles Randall Templeton, Breanna Williams
• EZ Reports Administrator: Jacqueline Clanton
• Site Coordinator: Lori Owen
Crossville 21st Century
• Aides: Stephanie Lacey, Brenda Smothers
• Teachers: Tawnya Bobo, Gina Davis, Jennifer Bankston, Mitzi Highes, Rhonda Jolley, Teresa Matthews, Michelle Scott, Kodie Smith
• After School Bus Drivers: Tammie Mountain, Michael Peppers,
• ARI Interventionist: Mary Barkley
• Site Coordinator: April Hart
• Custodian: Joyce Barnes
• Translator: Berenise Luna, Bris Torres-Hernandez
• Nurse: Louise McCarty
Ruhama Jr. High School -
• Teacher: Wanda Burt, Sonya Pope, Melissa Warren, Lezlie Pope
• Substitute Teacher: Heather Conkle
• Bus Driver: Chris Murdock
Dr. Jason Barnett and the Board discussed the Certified Supplemental Bus Driving Policy. This procedure has been in place for over two years in Collinsville.
“I recommend that we make this full procedure throughout the County,” stated Barnett. The Board voted to approve the measure.
The Board also recognized Jacob Malone, who was awarded the “Most Outstanding AP US History” teacher award by the Alabama A+ College Ready Program.
Board Member Robert Elliott was also recognized as being granted the Level 3 School Board Member Academy Achievement.