By Marla Jones, Managing Editor • email@example.com
RAINSVILLE, Ala. — The Rainsville City Council held their regularly scheduled meeting on December 2. In the absence of Mayor Rodger Lingerfelt, Mayor Pro Team Ricky Byrum acted as Mayor.
The Council voted to extend the sewer line from the pumping station on Hwy 35 to Everett Road and empowered the Mayor to approve bids as long as the amount was under the State bid law.
Rainsville Police Chief Kevin Smith brought before the Council the need for a Stop Stick and Rack It system for the Rainsville Police Department. Stop Stick and Rack It is a nationally known system for tire deflation in high speed pursuits. The Council approved the bid to supply ten police vehicles with the system in the amount of $5,086.60, which includes training and certification for each officer.
Chief Smith also reported to the Council that “Shop with a Cop” had raised $10,000 to supply Christmas for 100 children.
In other business, the Council:
- Accepted the bid from Rainsville Heating and Cooling, in the amount of $14,800, to replace the heat and air unit in the City Hall.
- Approved a .26 per hour pay increase for part-time CDL Drivers. At this time Rainsville employs three part-time drivers with no benefits.
- Awarded the bid to Ralph Hall for removal of the stage at the City Park. Mr. Hall will remove stage for the material.
- Authorized the Mayor to renew a contract with Coca-Cola for five more years at the Field of Dreams
- Accepted the resignation of Stephen Malone (Police Department)
- Posted a patrolman position with the Police Department for two weeks
- Hired Michael Wilbanks as Sanitation Driver with CDLs, beginning next payroll
The next meeting of the Rainsville City Council will be held on Monday, December 16 at 5pm with a work session at 4:15pm.