By Marla Jones, Managing Editor • firstname.lastname@example.org
RAINSVILLE, Ala. — The Rainsville City Council held their regularly scheduled meeting on March 2, 2020.
Rainsville Police Chief, Kevin Smith addressed the Council and Mayor concerning a Department of Justice Cops Grant that will be applied for. The grant would help fund desperately needed additional officers. The grant would pay 75% of a police officer’s salary with the City paying 25%, for up to three years.
In other business, the Council approved:
- Set a budget workshop date for March 9 beginning at 4:15.
- Four additional credit cards from First Southern State Bank
- Postponed the bidding out of turn lane on Hwy 75
- Repair to a culvert on Willingham
- Service agreement and authorization for mayor to pay for a rock wall and mechanical bull for the Freedom Fest
- The last 800 ft of sewer line work for Scott Street
- $500 sponsorship for Leadership DeKalb
- Installation of street Light on 42 Rains Avenue
- $1000 Sponsorship for Shriners Rodeo
- Accepted the resignation of Tyler Phillips as a firefighter, and would post the job until the end of the month
The DeKalb Shrine Club of Alabama will present the 3rd Annual Shrine Rodeo at the Northeast Alabama Agri-Business Cneter in Rainsville on Friday, March 6 and Saturday, March 7 at 7:30pm. Tickets will only be sold at the door. For more information, please call (256) 717-6263.
The next meeting of the Rainsville City Council will be held on March 16. The workshop begins at 4:15 and the regular session following at 5 pm.