By Marla Jones, Managing Editor • firstname.lastname@example.org
DeKALB COUNTY, Ala. — The DeKalb County Board of Education held their regularly scheduled meeting on July 9, 2020, via the Zoom platform.
One of the main topics of discussion was the reopening of DeKalb County Schools. Concerned parents and legal guardians can find a copy of the family guidance on the reopening of schools on the Facebook page of Jason Barnett, Dekalb County Superdintent.
For questions regarding the COVID-19 and the upcoming school year procedures, you can send an email to email@example.com.
The Board approved the following on the job injury: Adam Haynes, Maintenance Worker for four days.
The Board accepted the following retirement and resignations:
- David Stanely-Secondary Science Teacher -Crossville High School-Retirement
- Margaret Pointer - Break Store Worker - Geraldine High School - Retirement
- Cody Rowell - Assistant Principal - Geraldine High School - Resignation - 6/30/20
- Joey Rowell - Elementary Teacher - Geraldine High School - Resignation
- Amelia Parker - Elementary Teacher - Crossville Elementary School - Resignation
- Juanee Gilliland - Itinerant Special Education Bus Aide - Fyffe Special Services Center -Resignation
- Julie West - Head Softball Coaching Duties Only - Geraldine High School - Resignation
Approved the following Leave of Absence:
- Ashlei Wanninge Middle School Counselor - Geraldine High School - 8/7/20-10/5/20
Accepted the following transfers: (All transfers will have an effective date of 8/1/20 unless otherwise specified.)
- Felicia Higdon - Elementary Teacher at Valley Head High School to Itinerant ARI, Instructional Coach for the System (2020-102)
- Amy Graham - Secondary Mathematics Teacher at Sylvania High School to Itinerant, Instructional Math Coach for the System (Effective 7/1/20)
- Michael Davis - Secondary P.E. Teacher at Crossville High School to Intervention Teacher at Geraldine High School
- Rhonda Jones - CNP Worker to Bus Driver at Plainview High School
- Leigh Anne Powell - High School Counselor at Valley Head High School to an Elementary Teacher at Ider High School (Effective 7/10/20)
- Julie West - Elementary Teacher to Assistant Principal (10 months) at Geraldine High School (Effective 7/1/20)
- Riley Edwards - Elementary Teacher at Collinsville High School to Elementary Teacher at Crossville Middle School
The Board made the following placements:
- Emily Bales - Elementary Teacher - Crossville Elementary School
- Jamie Gilbert - Varsity Girls Basketball Coaching Supplement - Geraldine High School
- Kady Curvin - English Language Arts Teacher (Leave only from 8/3/20-5/27/21) - Sylvania High School
- Cameron Whitt - Elementary Teacher - Plainview High School
- Luke Powell - Secondary History Teacher - Fyffe High School
- Haley Harville-York - Secondary General Science Teacher - Fyffe High School
- Mandi Goza - Elementary Teacher - Valley Head High School
- Alexandria Spurgin - Elementary Teacher - Crossville Elementary School
- Jesslyn Cochran - Elementary Teacher - Geraldine High School
- Rebecca Westbrooks - Itinerant School Nurse - Fyffe High School
- Collinsville High School: Nathan Coker - Football
- Plainview High School: Jason Lindsey - Football, Blake Holloway - Football, Chris Davis - Football, Jason Keef - Varsity Cheerleading, Josh York - Football, Jason Brown - Football
- Cole Shankles - Valley Head High School
The date of the next DeKalb County Board of Education meeting will be on July 23. The Regular Meeting will begin at 5:00 P.M. in the Meeting Room of the Facilities Building.