By Tyler Pruett, Managing Editor
RAINSVILLE, Ala. — In the first meeting of the Rainsville City Council for 2017, the council handled several personnel issues in the public safety departments, approved the comprehensive TARCOG plan for the city, and voted to begin renovations to the pool; among other items.
In the workshop, Kevin Bernard, a planning expert from TARCOG, addressed the council on the comprehensive plan developed for the city.
Also in the workshop, Rainsville Police Chief Johnny Stewart submitted his resignation to accept another job opportunity. (For more on this story, see this week's print edition)
During the meeting, the council voted to:
- Empower the Mayor to sign a contract with Pyrotecnico (Fireworks for Freedom Fest)
- Empowered Mayor to sign a contract with Burleson Pools for renovations to the city pool.
- Empowered Mayor to sign a contract with Jimmy Traylor Construction for renovations to the pool house.
- Approved Comprehensive Plan developed with assistance from TARCOG for city growth.
- Accepted resignation of Police Chief Johnny Stewart, effective this Friday.
- Appointed Josh Wigley as temporary Assistant Police Chief.
- Voted to post job openings for Assistant Chief of Police and Chief of Police (7 days internally, 7 days externally).
- Accepted resignation of Thomas Ridgeway as Fire Chief.
- Hired Thomas Ridgeway as Assistant Chief.
- Promoted Derek Huskey to Captain (Fire Department)
- Moved Jason Brannon to Recruiting and Retention liaison (Fire Department)
- Posted job opening for Fire Chief (7 days internally)
- Voted to add $9000.00 back to the Chamber of Commerce budget.
- Authorized purchase of new NCIC computer for the Police Department.
- Authorized purchase of two new radios for the Police Department.
- Empowered mayor to purchase material for maintenance to the shoulder on Carlyle Road.
- Paid monthly bills.
Watch the Full Video: