Treasures

Treasures

Dr. John E. Morgan, Pastor of Collinsville Baptist ChurchBy Dr. John E. Morgan

Pastor–Collinsville Baptist Church

The gym/auditorium was full.  And they all came to see my granddaughter Sarah.  She was the star of the day.  She entered in her light gold robe with cap sitting just right on her head.  She paused to smile at her parents as she marched to the front row to join the almost 200 others in her class.  Whoever thought up kindergarten graduation was a genius.

I am forced to admit some of the spectators were not watching Sarah closely.  It was as if the other parents and grandparents were watching their own children.  And Sarah’s brothers Isaiah and Elijah sat on the second row where they could safely read during the whole time. (Isaiah had just started Harry Potter.  He could have been on the moon and not known it.)  After Sarah waved at her, little sister Hannah was content to spend her time eating Cheerios out of her small plastic bag while crawling on and off her grandparents’ laps.

But the five adults sitting together realized who the star was.  Parents and grandparents unable to take their eyes off of their Sarah.  We were entranced.  She smiled at me and all was right with the world.

This was her day.  When she walked across the stage to get her diploma, it was perfect.  As she stood with her class, everyone took pictures of her.  Okay, maybe they were taking pictures of their kids.   But not me.  There was an official DVD for sale by the school.  Not good enough.  I wanted my pictures.  I wanted to put them with pictures of her siblings graduating.  And her parents graduating years ago.  And, like Mary in the Bible, treasure all these things, pondering them in her heart.

The class stood together to sing seven songs.  As they sang “Summer Days” from Grease they reached inside their robes and pulled out sunglasses.  Sarah was perfect.  The grads danced to one of the songs.  Some danced too much, some too little.  Sarah was just right.  In my opinion.  And then it was over and Sarah and her classmates marched out.

I was bothered by one thing about the ceremony.  God was never mentioned.  Not a time in song or word.  I know the school has no choice.  The lawyers told them so.  But children need more than reading, ‘riting and ‘rithmetic.  They need to know God.  And if the school can’t help them, every one of us in their lives needs to teach them.  Moses told the people to impress these commandments on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. That means parents, grandparents and churches.  You and me.

Treasures
Sarah Grace Morgan, recent Kindergarten graduate at Wills Valley Elementary

The last thing the principal said was, “Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce to you the Class of 2028”.  Gulp.  Twelve years from now Sarah will be graduating high school?  2028 sounds a long way away.  I know it won’t feel that way.  But if God leaves me here until then, I sure want to be there.  We just never know, do we?  We need to treasure up memories while we can.  Celebrate now.

I think God was celebrating.  I imagine as the first child walked across the stage, God poked Gabriel and said, “Look, there’s little Mary.  She’s my favorite.”  And then God poked Gabriel again, “Look, there’s little Billy.  He’s my favorite.”  God has the time to celebrate with each of us.  And He made each of us.  So we are each His favorite.  The line continued until my granddaughter got there. Gabriel poked. “Look, there’s Sarah.  She’s my favorite.”  And then I like to think Gabriel got poked again.  “And look at her grandfather.  Is that not the silliest smile you ever saw?”  Guilty as charged.  And maybe a tear or two.

Was your smile for your child even sillier? Every child is “precious in His sight”.  As you smile and celebrate, remember to teach them about God.   Twelve years from now you will wish that you had.

Scripture is Luke 2 and Deuteronomy 6