A moment with Megan: What are you falling for?

A moment with Megan: What are you falling for?

By Megan Blansit

Founder of The Beautiful Movement - a youth ministry for high school girls. For more information, visit The Beautiful Movement’s Facebook page, where I post the time, place, and activity for each month

Hi, friends, I hope you are having a great week thus far. Can I share an embarrassing moment with you? Great, but don’t tell anyone! When I was in the 5th or 6th grade I had an adolescent’s worst nightmare come to life. I had a tragic slip in the lunchroom… in front of what felt like the entire school. I had just paid for my food and was walking with my food tray to the class’ assigned table and then BOOM! I slipped on a carrot and then oddly enough slipped on a green bean when I took another step (as if the carrot-slide wasn’t bad enough.) I was humiliated and everyone was laughing. My friends to this day still remember this and laugh uncontrollably. Maybe you haven’t had this kind of humiliating experience in front of your peers, but I would dare to say you have had some type of embarrassment in the course of your lifetime. Maybe you’ve fallen into a whole or fell at the skating rink, etc.

Not only can we (literally) fall physically, but we can fall for things in our mind. Friends, our mind is a battlefield and sometimes it is necessary to cast down negativity; you don’t have to believe everything that pops into your head. I’ll share another secret with you, Satan knows your weak spots. This means he knows where he can get you rattled or upset. Maybe he has attacked you with insecurity, “You’ll never amount to anything”… “Nobody loves you” … “You aren’t as pretty as your friend”.. etc etc.  Friend, I’m hear to tell you that if you are a child of the King, you have the power to rebuke the devil and speak back to his lies. For example, the Bible says you have a hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11.) The Bible says you are beautifully and wonderfully made (Psalms 139:14.) The Bible says Jesus’ love is steadfast towards us (Psalms 86:15.)

Friend, here is another secret, Satan likes to place his thoughts into your head and make them first person. Therefore, maybe you’ve heard, “I am ugly” for so long in your head that you believe that thought. That’s not your thought, friend. That is Satan speaking lies and making it first person. The Bible says Satan comes to steal, kill, and destroy.; however, we don’t have to let him! I don’t know about you, but I get tired of the Devil stealing my security, joy, etc. It’s in those moments that I have to consciously focus on God’s Word and speak the truth over myself.

The awesome thing is that Christ is so full of love and compassion for His children. He will never condemn us or speak negative of us. It’s time we get fed up with Satan’s lies and speak the opposite of what he is saying to us. We can do this by digging into God’s Word and finding the truth about who we are. Christ’s thoughts are ALWAYS good towards us. Besides, God doesn’t make junk; you are Gods beautiful creation and He takes such pleasure in you.

Friend, I’m not saying this will be an easy process. It will take time to fight the lies you’ve been believing. I encourage you to write down the lies you’ve been believing over yourself and the write the opposite of that thought (from the Bible) on a sticky note. Then, place the sticky note on your bathroom mirror or a place where the note will be seen frequently. Eventually, you will believe those positive truths over the lies!

I can’t imagine how much better our day would be if we focused on the truth (God’s Word) and not the lies Satan is continually feeding our mind. I challenge you to evaluate the thoughts you are believing about yourself this week. Are they God’s thought or are they Satan’s? Remember, you don’t always have to believe what you hear. My favorite song this week is “Blameless” by Dara MaClean. The lyrics are perfect for this article and read: Blameless, you call me holy. I am forgiven, you call me righteous, I am free. Spotless, you call me worthy. I am your child, you call me chosen, I am yours.— Friend, if you’re needing positive things to speak over yourself,  I just helped you out and named a few. I want to see you walk in victory today, and not defeat. So… ready, set.. GO!