A Moment with Megan: Continually Worship

Megan Blansit
Megan Blansit, Founder of The Beautiful Movement

By Megan Blansit

Founder of The Beautiful Movement - a youth ministry for high school girls. For more information, visit The Beautiful Movement’s Facebook page, where I post the time, place, and activity for each month

One day last week I was meeting a friend to go hiking at Little River Canyon. For the past few years hiking has been one of my favorite hobbies. There is something so therapeutic in being out in the woods and hiking down to rushing water. One of my favorite spots is to sit on a big boulder with a good book, escaping from the busyness of everyday life or just simply sit and admire God’s beautiful creation. My intentions last week were to go to “my spot”, sit there on the rock and meditate on God’s goodness, his many blessing on my life, and I also had hopes of being inspired for the next article (the one I am currently writing).  Have you all visualized the scenario and how peaceful it sounds?

Well, as much as I would love to sit here and say I made it to “my spot” and got super inspired … that didn’t happen! The sun set and it got dark before we were able to make it to our destination. Before you feel sorry for me, I did however get inspired!! I got inspired … in Jack’s parking lot. YES, Jacks. See, my friend was meeting me there so that we could ride together and while I was waiting for her to arrive, the trees behind the restaurant caught my attention. I’m not trying to sound super spiritual but please stay with me.

As I stared at the trees I noticed they were all bare (hence the winter and the harsh winds). Which that observation doesn’t take a genius, right? But, then I noticed something profound. All of the branches on the trees were pointing up to the sky. Not one of the branches were growing downward, only up. It’s almost like the trees were continually worshipping Jesus!

I am reminded of Luke 19:39-40, “Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Him, ‘Teacher, rebuke Your disciples.’But Jesus answered, ‘I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!” Then lets take a look at Isaiah 55:12, “… the mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.” Lets also look at 1 Chronicles 16:33, “Let the trees of the forest sing; let them sing for joy before the Lord…” I am also reminded of John 15:5, “I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.”

As I was writing this I began to search through some old notes and “ironically” stumbled across something the Lord spoke to me almost a year ago. Once again, while I was looking out my window at some trees, He spoke, “Stay connected to me and I will give you all you need.” Isn’t that wonderful?! The God of the universe, the God who created me and you, isn’t just after adoration (though he deserves it all) but he wants to BLESS US. He isn’t just a God who sits on the throne demanding His creation to praise him but He is a God who desires to meet our every need. Yes, every need!

Friend, we are the branches on the tree. We should continually be lifting our praise and adoration to Him, as well as staying connected. Through the good and the bad I want to still lift my hands (branch reference) to Him, He’s always worthy! Think of a branch that is broken and falls to the ground. Then what happens? It often gets trampled upon. Now imagine a tree that withstands a powerful storm. Sure, the branches are exposed to bad circumstances but  just because a bad storm comes doesn’t mean the branches break. As long as they stay connected, they have life. Maybe you’re reading this and you feel broken or “trampled on”, defeated or alone. I challenge you to examine who or what you are connected to. As long as we are the branch connected to the tree (Christ) we cannot be trampled upon. Bad things may come our way but with Christ we are victorious! Through Him we are made strong! Christ never promised that this life would be easy but He did say that he would never leave us or forsake us! I don’t know about you, but I want to abide in Him. I want to stay connected to my Heavenly Father. I want to continually worship His holy name! I don’t want a rock to cry out in my place. And lastly, don’t every underestimate how or when the Lord can speak to you… it could be at your next fast food stop!