By Zach Hester, Reporter • email@example.com
PHOTO: Mayor Rodger Lingerfelt and members of the Rainsville City Council presented local runners Jerry Clifton and Pam Willingham with a plaque honoring their 365 consecutive days of running. (Submitted Photo)
RAINSVILLE, Ala. — On Monday, the Rainsville City Council honored local runners Jerry Clifton and Pam Willingham for their 365 days of consecutive exercise. The Council also made a donation to the Rainsville Freedom Run.
“A big thank you to our Mayor and Council for recognizing Pam and me for our year of running in a row plus for their donation to the Rainsville Freedom Run,” said Clifton via Facebook. “Our city does whatever is necessary to help make our event ‘The Best Small Race in America.’”
Clifton serves as the race coordinator of the Rainsville Freedom Run, which is set to be held on June 19, 2021 at DeKalb County Schools Coliseum in Rainsville. The race begins at 8 a.m. and registration is now open at runsignup.com/race/al/rainsville/rainsvillefreedomrun10k5k.
In other business, the Council held public hearings for the re-zoning of three separate properties: Ranch Road, Peaceful Acres Subdivision, and Britany Owens Subdivision.
Rainsville Police Chief Michael Edmondson announced his department had collected over $41,000 for warranty amnesty month, which would end soon.
The Council took the following actions:
- Passed Ordinance 05-03-2021 (A) rezoning Ranch Road from M-1 Industrial to R-3 Residential
- Passed Ordinance 05-03-2021 (B) rezoning Peaceful Acres Subdivision from Agricultural to R-1 Residential
- Passed Ordinance 05-03-2021 (C) rezoning Britany Owens Subdivision from Agricultural to R-1 Residential
- Hired Joey Walden as a part-time firefighter at a rate of $12.59 per hour
- Approved Chief Edmondson to apply for a grant for new vests for the Police Department
- Passed Resolution 05-03-2021 (A) surplusing an armored vehicle from the Police Department
- Passed Resolution 05-03-2021 (B) designation Back-to-School Tax Holidays in the City of Rainsville for July 16 to 18, 2021
- Appointed Kelly Lawrence to the Zoning Board
- Approved a $500 sponsorship for the Alabama Fighting Championship
The next meeting of the Rainsville City Council will be held on Monday, May 17 at 4:30 p.m. with a work session at 4 p.m.