DEKALB COUNTY, Ala.-- DeKalb County has some great places for you to enjoy the great outdoors if you decide not to travel during the Fourth of July long weekend. There is no shortage of parks including Desoto State Park, Desoto Falls, Bucks Pocket and Little River Canyon and Sylvania Public Lake, to name a few.
Several towns and Cities have planned events to help you enjoy the Independence Weekend!
• THE CITY OF FORT PAYNE Independence Day Celebration will be held on Thursday, July 1 at the Fort Payne Sports Complex. The Complex is located at 101 45th Street NE. The Boys in the Band, an Alabama tribute band, will be the entertainment for the evening. Fireworks will begin at dark. Vendors will be on hand for tasty treats.
• DESOTO STATE PARK will host its annual weekend of events for the Fourth of July Holiday. On July 2-3 the park will host a parade, flag making contest, an ice cream social, pool party and much more. Check out their calendar of events on www.alapark.com/parks/desoto-state.
• THE CITY OF HENAGAR will host its 39th Sand Mountain Potato Festival on Saturday, July 3. The parade will begin at 10 a.m. Grand Marshals will be the Jackson County Shriners. Musical entertainment will begin at 11:00 a.m. with an array of country, gospel, bluegrass, southern rock, and more. The musical lineup will be as follows:
11:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m. Steve Kerley and Band
12:00-1:00 p.m. Elisha Tatum and Derek Whisenant
1:00-2:00 p.m. The Hindmans
2:00-2:30 p.m. Break
2:30-3:00 p.m. Jordan’s Crossing
3:00-4:30 p.m. Dusty Smith
4:30-6:00 p.m. State Route 71
6:00-8:00 p.m. Carl Childers Band
The Henagar Library will be hosting a Corn Hole Tournament on the right baseball field at 3:00 p.m. Signups begin at 2:00 p.m. the day of the tournament. Cost per two person team is $20.
• THE TOWN OF CROSSVILLE will host the Crossville’s Stars and Stripes Corn Hole Tournament on July 3 beginning at 5 p.m. Signups will begin at 4:30 p.m. Fee is $25 per team.
• FYFFE CHURCH OF GOD will have a fireworks show and will be giving away free hot dogs. There will be inflatables for children, homemade ice cream, and gospel signing on July 4 from 5-9.
• The City Of Rainsville celebrated Freedom Fest this past Saturday at the Field of Dreams. This was the fourth year at this location. The festival has spanned over 14 years. Vendors, music, and inflatables were enjoyed by all. John Stone was the musical entertainment. Fireworks by Farmers Telephone Cooperative lit the sky and kicked off the Independence Day celebrations.
Get out and enjoy all that DeKalb County has to offer!