By Marla Jones, Managing Editor • email@example.com
RAINSVILLE, Ala. —The DeKalb County Board of Education held their regularly scheduled meeting on January 7.
Circuit Judge Andrew Hairston administered the oath to swear in Dr. Jason Barnett for his second term as DeKalb County Superintendent of Education. Barnett ran unopposed for re-election during the November 3 General Election.
“I am proud to know someone like Dr. Barnett is here taking care of our children and one day will be taking care of my children,” stated Judge Hairston.
“It is an honor to be sworn in for my second term,” stated Dr. Jason Barnett. “I love what I do and I am proud of the last four years and what we’ve been able to accomplish.”
Barnett went on to thank his family, the Board, and school employees, saying “We couldn’t do anything without the people in the schools working.”
After the swearing-in ceremony, Audrey Brundage of Ider High School was recognized as an early graduate. Brundage plans on seeking a degree in the poultry industry.
The Board approved the following:
- On the Job Injury: Constance Bowman, a CNP worker at Geraldine High School.
The following Retirements and Resignations:
- Paul Larry Laney - Bus Driver at Valley Head High School, Retirement effective 1/1/21
- Jonathan Ty Cole - Secondary Social Sciences Teacher at Crossville High School, Resignation effective 12/19/20
- Diana Brown - ESL Tutor at Crossville Middle School, Contract termination effective 1/5/21
- Arhely Canales Musino - Itinerant Migrant Home Liaison for the District effective12/1/20
The following Leaves of Absence were granted:
- Macy Cole - Elementary Teacher at Crossville Elementary School from 1/11/21-2/22/21
- Teresa Ann Word - Elementary Teacher at Crossville Elementary School from 11/2/20-12/18/20 (Extension from 11/30/20)
- Heather Beritiech - Elementary Teacher at Crossville Middle School from 1/19/21-2/16/21
- Tobey Hicks - Secondary Science Teacher at Crossville High School from 1/4/21-2/16/21
- Karen Boyd - Bus Driver at Plainview High School from 1/4/21-3/1/21
- Lauren Paige Phillips - Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher at Fyffe High School from 2/12/21-4/28/21
- Regeania Dickerson - Special Education Teacher at Collinsville High School from 2/16/21-5/27/21
The following transfers were made:
- Eryn Thrash - Child Nutrition Program Secretary to Assistant to the Child Nutrition Program Supervisor at the Central Office (Effective 1/4/21)
- Alicia Satterfield - Itinerant Special Education Teacher at Geraldine High School to Itinerant Psychometrist at the Annex (Effective 1/4/21)
The following placements were made pending a background review meeting suitability criteria and negative, pre-employment drug screen and appropriate certification)
- Lindsey Higdon - Elementary Teacher (1/4/21-5/27/21) - Ider High School
- Ethan Turbyfill - Secondary Social Sciences Teacher - Geraldine High School
- Rachel Johnson - Itinerant Special Education Teacher - Geraldine High School (Effective 1/4/21)
- William Holter - Secondary Social Sciences Teacher - Crossville High School
- Cary Dewayne Hearn - Bus Driver - Crossville Elementary School (Effective 1/11/21)
- Amy Thomas - Pre-K Auxiliary - Plainview High School
- Anthony Blevins - Baseball at Ider High School
The following contracts were awarded:
- Katelyn Freeman - Homebound
- Margaret Brown - Clerical Help
- Alex Thomas - Student Technician
- Sharon Miller - Intervention Teacher (Ruhama Jr. High School)
The Board approved a supplement from Fyffe Athletic Club to Coach Paul Benefield in the amount of $10,000.
The board discussed the COVID-19 Leave and Continuation of Families’ First Coronavirus Relief Act through March 31, 2021.
The date of the next DeKalb County Board of Education will be held on February 18. With a work session beginning at 4:30 and the regular meeting at 5 p.m.