PHOTO: Last night, a fire broke out at Cooper Hosiery at approximately 8 pm. (http://www.cooperhosiery.com)
By Tyler Pruett, Managing Editor
FORT PAYNE, Ala. — Last night (Wednesday, August 9), a fire was reported at Cooper Hosiery Mill in Fort Payne at approximately 8 pm. All 3 stations of the Fort Payne Fire Department responded to the call.
The fire broke out in the boarding room, but was quickly extinguished after firefighters were on scene. Crews were on the scene for approximately an hour; utilizing thermal imaging to ensure that the fire was completely out and would not spread. The blaze was extinguished with minor damage to the structure, but smoke in the building was significant.
According to Fort Payne Fire Department Assistant Chief Ron Saferite, the fire could have been much worse, had Cooper not installed fire preventive measures in the room where the fire started.
"They had redone their walls with fire resistant sheet rock, which really did help contain the damage," said Saferite.
While damage to the building was minor, the amount of smoke affected the business, as smoke can be absorbed into the fabric of the socks in storage.
Saferite said, "Our crews did a good job of finding the fire quick and knocking it out."
Calls to Cooper Hosiery for a statement were not immediately returned at this time.