Who Are You?

Who Are You?
Lucas Pruett
Lucas Pruett

By Lucas Pruett

Last night, I started reading one of the most impactful books I have ever picked up. It is called Victory Over the Darkness. If you get one thing out of this article, then please let it be that you need to go buy the book right away. It will set you free and change your life. I would love for every person in the world to read this book. Okay, that’s enough for my recommendation for the book, we can now get into some subject manner. One of the principles shared at the beginning of the book was extremely influential to me. It states that our behavior is a result of our belief. That sounds really simple but please track with me. The things we do day in and day out are a product of our belief system. The sin we commit or don’t commit is because of what we believe. The thorn in our flesh that continually keeps pulling us back into guilt and shame is because of our beliefs. Our honest beliefs determine our actions daily. That is so huge. Many of you are probably thinking something along the lines of “I believe in Jesus”. That is a great starting point but do you know what that truly means for your life? Do you know what has become true about you since you have become in Christ? And if so, do you truly believe it. What I am experiencing is that a lot of Christians are still trying to earn what God has already said is true of them. We are still pushing to earn the love of God. We are still pushing to defeat that nagging sin in our lives. We are still fighting as if we are orphans. How would those things change if we believe what God has said about those issues? God says that in Christ we become reconciled to God and inserted in the center of his great love. He says that through Christ sin has lost its ruling power over us. He also says that in Christ we are His children and no longer orphans. If we spent time daily learning these truths and believing God in them, then our listed behavior examples above would change. Our attempts for “better” behavior will never change our beliefs. The author relays a list of things that define who we are when we are in Christ. I want to pose this question to you. Do you know who you are? Do you know who God has said you are? I want to give you two biblical truths to claim over your lives daily for the next week. Please take this serious. Write them down on a note and take them with you wherever you go. Multiple times a day please claim these things over your life and begin to truly believe them. Both of these things fall under the category that you are accepted. Please know that. In Christ, you no longer have to search far and wide for acceptance. You are accepted. The first truth is that you are God’s child. (John 1:12) You are part of the most amazing family ever. This is absolute truth and because of this truth then you don’t have to have orphan like actions anymore. You belong. You are accepted. God loves you! The second truth is you are Christ’s friend (John 15:15). What a beautiful friend to have! We spend our life searching for friends and relationships. Sometimes we are hurt by our friends or hurt by the fact that we missed out on friendships. This truth let’s us know that Christ is our friend and he accepts us. We know he accepts us through the Cross and how He was willing to die for you. How amazing is that! Please feel free to go read the scripture references that go with both of these truths. God wants to speak even more to you through his Word. These truths can set you free. Claim them over your life daily. They can help determine your behavior that you have been trying to change on your own for so long. Also, go buy the book right now. If you need anything from me then reach out to me at writingonpurpose@gmail.org!