A Moment with Megan: Free as a Bird

A Moment with Megan: Free as a Bird

By Megan Blansit

Founder of The Beautiful Movement - a youth ministry for high school girls. For more information, visit The Beautiful Movement’s Facebook page, where I post the time, place, and activity for each month

Hi friends, do any of you ever wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Okay good, glad I’m not the only one! … One bright summer morning (my attitude not so bright) I was sitting in my living room trying to find something to watch on tv. While sitting there, I was getting distracted plus very annoyed by the 3 finches in the other room. Side note- My mom use to have a beautiful cage with 3 cute little birds. However, that particular morning, I did not find them so cute. Lets be honest, sometimes when we are in a bad mood we want others to be in a bad mood with us, right? We definitely don’t want to be around happy, energetic people! Well these birds were chirping and chirping… AND CHIRPING! The birds seemed so ecstatic and were flying around everywhere in the cage, I was thinking, “Seriously?! I cant even hear the tv because they are so loud!” God is so cool because we can literally ask him anything, so that day, out of frustration, I asked God, “How can these birds be so happy like this EVERYDAY?! They live in a cage their entire life!” His response, “Because I renew their mind daily.” ——Long pause—— Wow. I was speechless. Isn’t that what we are called to do as Christians, to let Christ renew our mind? As I began to dwell on what the Lord spoke to me, I realized how content those birds were. How? Why? They live in a cage when they could be flying free anywhere in the world! Do they not get tired of being in that cage? Call me weird, But my mind went into pretending I was one of those birds and numerous questions arose. What I gathered next from this, was that If God renews their mind daily, the birds do not remember yesterday, and do not worry about tomorrow. They live in the moment and enjoy THIS day. Friend, that’s some powerful stuff. They literally do not remember yesterday and their mind cannot go to tomorrow. I don’t know about you, but I want to be like those birds (full or life, joy, and contentment.)

Where is your mind today? Are you “stuck” in a cage of fear, anxiety, or perhaps even depression, or unforgiveness? Matthew 6:26 says, “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or sow away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father  feeds them. Are you not so much more valuable than they?” and Matthew 6:34 says, Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself…” God has control over the birds and He has control over us… when we allow him. God is a gentleman and He will not go where He is not invited. If you’re struggling with anything today, please invite Him in.

Philippians 4:6-7 says, Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ. I want that peace! I want that contentment.

My challenge to you this week, friend, is to let God renew your mind daily. Forget about yesterday, and don’t let your mind get consumed with tomorrow’s agenda. I challenge you to dig into God’s Word early in the morning, listen to your favorite worship song on the way to work, speak Gods blessings over your life, and enjoy THIS day He has given you. As always, thank you for reading and I will see you next week.