A Moment with Megan: Covered in Sticky Notes

Megan Blansit
Megan Blansit, Director of The Beautiful Movement

By Megan Blansit

Founder of The Beautiful Movement - a youth ministry for high school girls. For more information, visit The Beautiful Movement’s Facebook page, where I post the time, place, and activity for each month

Insecurities are dangerous. What’s even more dangerous is dwelling on them. I’m sure you can think of someone (maybe even yourself) who has insecurities. I’ll go ahead and address the elephant in the room, we all have insecurities. I’m a 5’11 female. There has been many times when my height has made me feel insecure. Not to mention the jokes from classmates in high school that magnified the insecurity. Years later, I have finally learned to embrace my insecurity of being tall. I realize God made me this way and to speak negative of myself is to speak negative of Christ. Because the Bible says we are made in His image (Genesis 1:27.)

I’ve also realized that I am not the only person who may face insecurities. I spoke to The Beautiful Movement girls last Saturday about insecurities. I posed the questions, “If we could see each others negative thoughts (or insecurities) posted as sticky notes on our bodies, what would they be?” … “Would we be completely covered in sticky notes?” Some of the girls were transparent and said what their sticky notes would say- I’m not good enough, I don’t have nice clothes, nobody likes me, my dreams won’t ever happen, I’m ugly, I’m not skinny enough, I’m not popular enough to be her friend, etc etc. Lets be honest, we would probably all feel better about ourselves if we were able to see our friend or coworkers “sticky notes.” I dare to say we would have more sympathy and even healthier relationships. Us humans have specialized in portraying we have everything together, when we are actually broken inside.

Satan is on a rampage trying to destroy our peace and joy. John 10:10 says that Satan comes to steal, kill and destroy. But, we don’t have to let him, friend! Just like we don’t have to believe every negative thought about ourselves that pops into our head. It becomes dangerous when we dwell on something for a profound amount of time. Why? Because then we start to believe it. Philippians 4:8 says, “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable— if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things.” There must be something powerful in dwelling on the good.

I’ve came across people who love tearing down others. Words hurt. I have never believed the quote, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” Words carry power. What if we are placing even more  negative “sticky notes” on people than they already have? Could it be possible to place life-giving “sticky notes” on people instead?

My challenge to you this week is to speak life to the people you encounter. You never know how much a simple compliment can make such a huge impact. We, as Christians, need each other. I am reminded of the Redwood trees in California. These trees are massive, reaching the height of a football field. Believe it or not, the root systems of these trees are shallow and without being near other redwood’s the trees would not make it. Despite the weak root system, the roots are amazingly able to interlock with surrounding roots, making the redwoods incredibly strong. The key here is that they desperately need each other to survive. This parallels with our lives- we need each other, friend! Who are we saving or tearing down with our words today? I pray we speak life into everyone we come in contact with this week. You never know who desperately needs a positive sticky note on them. I challenge you to make someone’s day. God bless!